Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Narayan Kavach

Narayan Kavach


The Narayan Kavach appears in the sixth 'skandh' of the eighth 'adhyaaya' verses 36-46 in the Shrimad Bhaagvad. The Narayan Kavach was taught by Vishvaroopa to Lord Indra.
Narayan Kavach literally means the armor of Lord Narayan. An armor protects one from blows and adversities. That is exactly what this prayer is meant to do.

It is a fascinating prayer as you will learn if you, at least will read the translation that is rendered. All the possible situations, times, circumstances are covered. The more ambitious ones could recite it everyday for themselves or/and their loved ones. It is believed to be very powerful. I would recommend that the 'less ambitious ones' recite or learn the last 4 lines.

From 'Vidikshu dikshu…….samast tejaha'

Before commencing the recital, chant 'Om Namo Naraayanaya' or 'Om Namo Bhagvadey Vaasudey Vaaya ('ey' pronounced as Whey) or your favourite mantra 12 times. Visualize yourself and/or your loved ones, totally protected. My favourite way of doing it is by visualizing a family portrait. You could 'see' them dressed in armor. You could see them immersed in white or violet light. You could see them in a tube of Light. You could see an impenetrable ring of white Light around them. 'Sound' started with the chanting of Om. The entire SamVeda was transferred through the notes of the 'sargam' Music commenced with the recitation of Mantras and Shlokas. There is Spiritual strength in it. (One must remember that this prayer was granted for Victory in the battlefield. Hence it asks for destruction of enemies, I would prefer to pray for the destruction of enmity rather than the enemies, Shakun)

I am presenting to you the translation first. The original follows:

Om Hareer vida-dhyaan mama sarva rakshaam
May the Lord Hari protect you from all sides.

Nyastaangni padmah patgendra prishtey
Shree Hari has placed His 'Charan Kamal' (Lotus feet)

Daraari charmaasi gadeshu chaapo
On the back of Shree Garuda (The vehicle of Lord Vishnu)

Paashaan dadhaanoshta gunoshta vaahu
All the 8 'Siddhis' (Miraculous Powers) serve Him. On His 8 hands, He Holds 8 weapons. (Shankh, Chakra, Dhaal, Talvaar, Gada, Baan, Dhanush and Paash)

Jaleshu maam rakshatu matsya murtir
May the Lord protect me in the water as Matsya-Murtir (The Fish Incarnation of Lord Vishnu) from all the Water Creatures.

Yaado ganebhyo varunasya paashaat
May the Lord protect me from the Fury of Typhoons.

Sthaleshu maaya vatu vaamano vyaat
On the Earth, may the Lord Vaaman (Incarnation of Lord Vishnu) protect me.
Trivikramaha khevatu vishwaroopaha
Lord Trivikrama should protect me in the sky.

Durgeshu atavyaaji mukhaadishu Prabhu Paayaan Nrasimho asurayoothpaarih
Vimunchato yasya mahaat haasam Disho vinedur nyapatanshcha garbhaah

May Lord Narasimha (The half-Man and Half-Lion Incarnation of Lord Vishnu) by whose Mighty roar, all the four directions shook, and pregnant demonesses lost their children in their wombs, protect me in forts, jungles, battlefields and dangerous places.

Rakshatvasao Maadhvani yagnakalpah
May Varaaha (The Boar Incarnation of Lord Vishnu) who saved the earth with the help of His tusk, and who symbolises 'Yagna' (Sacrifice, effort) protect me when I am going my way.
Svadanshtrayo nneet dhavo varaaha Ramo adrikuteshu atha vipravaase
May Parshurama (The Incarnation of Lord Vishnu who cleansed the earth of power hungry  corrupt warriors), protect me on mountain-peaks.
Sa Laxmano avyaad Bharataagrajo smaan Maam ugra dharmaad akhilaat pramaadaat
May Sri Laxman, together with Sri Bharat's elder brother Shri Ram, protect me whenever I travel.


Naaraayanah paatu narashcha haasaat
May the Lord Narayan protect me from wrong thoughts, deeds (whenever I may act against 'Dharma', my duties) May the 'Rishi Shreshta' protect me from (the disease of ) the Human ego.

Dattastu ayogaat atha yognaatha
Lord Dattatreya! Please protect me from the obstacles that one generally encounters when one goes to pray, or for Spiritual gatherings.

Paayaad Gunesha Kapilaha karmabandhaat
May the Lord Kapil protect me from the bondage of karmas.

Sanat Kumaro avatu kaamdevaad
May Sanat Kumara protect me from the God of Passion.

Haya sheershaa maam pathi devahelnaat
May HayaSheersha, protect me from the offense of not paying obeisance to the
Dev Murtis (Temples) that one encounters on the way.

Devarishi varyaha purushaarcha naantaraat
May the Dev-Rishi Naarad protect me from ('Seva-Apraadh) My shortcomings in service (to the Celestial Beings).

Koormo Hareer maam niryaa dasheshaat
May the Tortoise Avtaar of the Lord protect me from all kinds of health problems.

Dhanvantarir Bhagwan paatu apathyaad
May the Lord Dhanvantari protect me from unhealthy food items.

Dwandwaad bhayaad Rishabho nirjitaatmaa
May RishabhDev protect me from 'dualities' (ie. Joy, sorrow, pleasure, pain, Like, Dislike etc)

Yagnashcha lokaa davtaad janaantaad
May Yagna Bhagwan (The Lord Of Yagna or Sacrifices) protect me from social stigmas

Balo ganaat krodha vashaa daheendraha
May Lord Sheshya (Snake) protect me from all kinds of snakes of anger.

Dvaipaayano Bhagwaan aprabodhaad
May Ved- Vyaasji protect me from ignorance.

Budhastu Paakhand Ganaat Pramaadaat
May Lord Buddha protect me from hypocrisy and laziness.

Kalkih kaley kaalmalaat prapaatu dharmaa-vanaayo rukrutaa vataaraha
May Lord Kalki protect me from all the evil prevalent in Kaliyuga.

Maam Keshavo gadayaa praata ravyaad
May Lord Keshav protect me in the morning with His 'Gada' (weapon)

Govind aasangava Maatra venu
May Lord Govind protect me with His flute after dawn.
Naraayanah praahna udaatta Shaktir madhyam diney Vishnu ravindra paanihi
Before noon may Lord Narayana protect me with His strength. At noon, may Lord Vishnu protect me with His Sudarshan Chakra (weapon)

Devo aparaahney madhuhogra dhanvaa
During the afternoon, may Lord Madhusudan protect me with His Mighty 'Dhanush' (weapon, Bow)

Saayam tridhaama vatu Madhavo maam
May Tri-Murti-Dhaari protect me during the evening.

Doshey Rishikesha utaardha raatrey
After sunset may Lord Rishikesh protect me.

Nisheetha eko avatu Padmanaabhah
At midnight I seek protection from Bhagwan Padmanaabha.

Shreevatsa dhaama para-raatra Eeshah
After midnight may Shree Hari protect me.

Pratyoosha Eesho asidharo Janaardanaha
At Dawn may Bhagwan Janaardan, who holds the sword protect me.

Daamodaro avyaada nu sandhyam prabhatey
Before Sunrise may Shree Damodara protect me.

Vishweshwaro Bhagwan kaalmurtih
And may Bhagwan Vishweshwara also protect me.

Chakram Yugaantaanal tigmanemi Bhramat samantaad Bhagavat prayuktam
O Sudarshan (weapon of the Lord) You appear like a wheel of a chariot. Your edges are sharp like a devastating fire By instructions from Your Lord, you move on all sides

Dandhagdhee dandagdhya arisainya maashu
Just like fire, with the help of the wind, burns dry grass,

Kaksham yathaa vaata sakho hutaashah
Similarly you destroy the army of my enemies (enmity).

Gadey shani sparshan visphulindey
O Gada! (weapon) the sparks that emanate from you, are unbearable to the touch.

Nishpindee nishpindhya ajita priyaasi
You are the beloved of Lord Ajit (Invincible)

Kooshmanda vainaayaka yaksha raksho Bhoota grahaam schoornaya schoornaya reen
Hence you destroy the evil spirits as well as my enemies (enmity).

Tvam yaatu dhaana pramatha preta maatru
O Shankha! (Conch) May my enemies (and evil tendencies) get frightened, when they hear your sound as Lord Krishna blows upon you.

Pishaacha vipra graha ghora drishteen Darendra vidraavaya Krishna poorito
Bheema svanorarer rdyaani kampayan
Make their hearts tremble and cause the demons and evil spirits to flee

Tvam tigmadhaara Sivaraari sainya
O Mighty Talvaar (Sword) of the Lord whose edge is so sharp.
You destroy my enemies (enmity)

Meesha prayukto mama chhindi chhindi
O Great Dhaal of the Lord, which is adorned with countless moons,

Chakshoom shi charman chhat chandra chhaadaya Dwishaam aghonaam hara paapa chakshushaam
You forever close the eyes of my sinful enemies (evil, enmity)

Yanno bhayam grahebhyo bhoot Ketubhyo nrubhya eva cha
May all those (that) be destroyed, who (which is, an) are an obstacle to my well being.

Sareesru pebhyo damshthrubhyo bhootebhyo hobhya eva va Sarvaani etaani Bhagwan naam roopaastra keertanaat prayaantu sankshayam sadyo ye naha shreyah prateepaka
May all my enemies (enmity) be destroyed by the strength of my chanting and prayers.

Garudo Bhagwaan stotra stobha rachhando mayaha prabhuh Rakshatva shesha kruchhebhyo vishwaksenaha svanaamabhi
May the Lord's name, form, vehicle and helpers protect our intellect, mind, breath and senses. God is in reality the 'Action' and the 'Reason for all Creation'

Sarvaa padbhyo Hareer naama roopa yaanaayu dhaani naha
By the Strength of the above Truth, may all my obstacles cease to exist

Budhi indriya manah praanaan Paantu paarshad Bhooshanaaha
Those who have realised 'Brahma' or become Enlightened, have realised that the Lord is without form.

Yathaa hi Bhagwaaneva vastutaha sadasachayat Satyenaa nena naha sarve yaantu naashamupadra vaaha Yathei kaatmya nubhaavaanaam vikalpa rahitaha svayam Bhooshnaa yudha lingaakhyaa dhatey shakteeh svamaayaya
Yet by the Power of the Lord's 'Maya' it is true, that the Lord does assume an appearance, and owns (acquires) Jewels, Weapons, Attributes.


Teneiva satyamaanena sarvagyo Bhagwan Hareeh Paatu sarvai svaroopairna sadaa sarvatra sarvagaha
That is why, may the Omni- Present God Shree Hari always protect me with His Form.

Vidikshu dikshu urdhwa madhaha samantaad Antar baahir Bhagwaan Narasimhaha
May the Lord NaraSimha ( The Incarnation of Lord Vishnu, Half Lion, Half Man) ,

Prahaapayan loka bhayan svanena
Whose Mighty Roar, makes flee the fear of everyone, and by whose effulgence, (enemy's) brightness is devoured,

Svatejasaa grasta samasta tejaaha
May He always protect me

No comments:

Post a Comment